The federal census shows Fayetteville’s population to be 20,274, an increase of 19 percent from the 1950 population. Washington County’s total population was 55,797.
Washington County Hospital’s name is changed to Washington General Hospital.
A pharmacy department is added at Washington General Hospital.
June 4 — The Roberta Fulbright Library Building, designed by architect Warren Segraves, is dedicated on East Dickson Street. Funding for the library construction came, in part, from a $225,000 bond issue, and property was donated by Gilbert Swanson, son-in-law of Robert Waugh Fulbright.
Maxine's Tap Room, designed by Warren Segraves, opens on North Block Avenue.
Herman's Ribhouse opens on North College Avenue.
Fayetteville voters adopt a city manager form of government, in which a seven-member board of directors was the primary legislative body. The board was charged with hiring a city manager to administer the municipal government. The board also elected a mayor from among themselves to preside over board meetings.
The Shakespeare Company, a manufacturer of fishing gear based in Kalamazoo, Mich., opens a plant in Fayetteville to produce fishing reels. The plant was one of the first in the country to treat its factory wastewater onsite and filter it for reuse.
September 17 and 18 — The last northbound and southbound passenger trains stop in Fayetteville. Frisco eliminated passenger service that year.
Washington General Hospital delivers 900 babies over the course of this year. A new telephone system is also installed to let patients dial without going through the hospital switchboard.
Construction of Beaver Dam is completed by the U.S. Corps of Engineers, creating a reservoir for power generation, flood control and water supply. The dam cost $46 million to build.
Washington General Hospital participates in preliminary plans to establish a two-year associate degree of nursing at the University of Arkansas. A Candy Stripers summer youth volunteer program is also started.