The federal census shows Fayetteville’s population to be 5,362, a 20 percent increase from the 1910 population. Washington County’s total population was 35,468.
E.A. Budd opens a movie house on the south side of the square, adding vaudeville acts later.
March 1 — Rotary Club No. 829 is organized in Fayetteville with Henry D. Tovey serving as the first president.
Lawrence Stinson erects a 100-foot-tall wooden tower near the corner of West and Lafayette to send wireless signals.
The Fayetteville Building and Loan Association No. 2 is organized with H.S. Price as president.
Fayetteville’s first golf course, a nine-hole layout, was built on the farm of Lodie Stone on the White River. Because of the distance from town, a new course was laid out a year later on Highway 71 about a mile and a half south of town, and the Fayetteville Country Club was organized. This course burned in 1926, and 182 acres on the south end of South Mountain were bought for a new golf course.
June — The Methodist Assembly is dedicated atop East Mountain, and the mountain’s name is changed to Mount Sequoyah.
Arkansas prohibited the sale or use of marijuana this year.
The Arkansas chapter of the American Association of University Women was organized this year, with members intially from Fayetteville, Little Rock and Hot Springs.
June 6 — A local chapter of the Lions Club is chartered with T.L. Hart serving as the first president.
The University of Arkansas erected a wireless transmitter above the engineering building and KUOA began broadcast of “The Voice of the Ozarks.”
February — The Business and Professional Women’s Club is organized with Grace Albright serving as the first president.
W.F. Sonneman purchases the Baum building on the east side of the square, dismantles it and builds in its place the Palace Theater.
Ely-Walker Dry Goods Co. of St. Louis builds a manufacturing plant big enough to handle at least 200 electric shirt-sewing machines. Its payroll for 1927 was $107,000.
The University of Arkansas’s School of Business Administration was established this year, becoming the fifth college of the university. It was later renamed in honor of Sam Walton.
The University of Arkansas’s graduate school was established this year. Prior to the school, graduate study occurred under the supervision of a Graduate Committee.
A tract of land on the south side of town is purchased by the city for $5,000 to build the first permanent airport.