The federal census shows Fayetteville’s population to be 2,942, a 65 percent increase from the 1880 population. Washington County’s total population was 32,024.
The Fayetteville Grocer Co. is organized.
Shultz & Son opens the city’s first steam laundry on Dickson near the Frisco depot.
Jefferson School is built at the corner of South and Church.
Senator Tillman of Washington County introduces Arkansas’s first “Jim Crow” legislation during the General Assembly. The law would require African-American residents who are traveling by railroad to sit only in designated cars. Similar legislation over the next two decades would lead to racial segregation of most public buildings and institutions.
Thomas Brooks establishes the Washington County Review, which continued publication until 1913, when it was absorbed by The Fayetteville Republican, then owned by D.C. Ambrose. Ambrose’s son, Roscoe Ambrose, continued publication but changed the name to The Fayetteville Republic.
M.W. McRoy opens a job-printing shop.
Herbert Hoover, later a president of the United States, lives in Fayetteville during part of this year while assisting John C. Branner in his geological survey of the state.
Louise Payne establishes the Fayetteville Daily.
September 25 — A smoldering match catches a stable east of the square on fire, and it spreads to the Baum Brothers store, destroying it and killing one man.
Professors W.N. Gladson and W.B. Bentley install a switchboard on the third floor of the Bank of Fayetteville through a phone service that was eventually bought up by Southwestern Telephone.
B.W. Redfern, George Bryan and W.S. Pollard form a partnership to start the city’s first ice-making plant near the Frisco switch track between Center and Meadow streets.
June 6 — Woodmen of the World, Oak Camp No. 12, is chartered in Fayetteville.
The first edition of the University of Arkansas yearbook, The Cardinal, is published and named after the university's mascot. A couple of years after the university mascot was changed to the Razorbacks in 1910, the name of the yearbook was changed to The Razorback.
The Fayetteville National Building & Loan Association is organized, and E.B. Harrison is elected president.
A new county jail is erected for $14,000 at the intersection of College Avenue and Mountain Street.
Although the city had had bucket brigades from at least the time of the Civil War, the city’s first horse-drawn fire wagon wasn’t purchased by the city until this year. Frank Mayes was fire chief at the time.
The Seventh Day Adventists establish a church on South Street near College Avenue.
April — The Mildred Lee Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy is organized with twenty charter members.
Capt. J.T. Eason opens an insurance business.
A chapter of the United Confederate Veterans is organized in Fayetteville.
Oakleaf Lodge No. 12 of the Woodmen of the World is established in Fayetteville.
Leverett School is built at the corner of Cleveland and Garland.
The Methodist congregation builds its third church at the corner of Dickson Street and Highland Avenue and acquires a parsonage north of the church.