The federal census shows Fayetteville’s population to be 955, a slight drop from the pre-Civil War population of 972. Washington County’s total population was 17,266.
August 24 — A new order of incorporation was recorded by the county court after residents had asked the legislature to dissolve the previous charter. E.I. Stirman was elected the new mayor.
Johnny Fosfender opens Fayetteville’s first commercial bakery.
The Baldwin Commandery No. 4 of the Knights Templar was established in Fayetteville.
William Etter erected a bank on the east side of the square that was bought in 1873 by William McIlroy in partnership with Denton D. Stark, who in 1874 fled the state after questions of improper handling of funds.
March 20 — An independent school district is organized, and the first meeting of a Fayetteville school board is held.
Arkansas Industrial University begins holding classes as the state’s land-grant university. It would later be renamed the University of Arkansas.
The First Presbyterian Church is established at the northwest corner of College Avenue and Spring Street.
The Methodist congregation builds a brick church at 112 West Center Street.
June 10 — A group of Fayetteville women meets at the Methodist Church and organizes the Southern Memorial Association to secure a site for proper burial of Confederate soldiers who had died at battles in Fayetteville, Prairie Grove and Pea Ridge. A cemetery was eventually established on three acres of land on Mount Sequoyah (East Mountain) near the eastern end of Rock Street.
July 2 — The Washington County Medical Society is organized with Dr. Pollard serving as president.
The First Presbyterian Church, U.S., is organized by a committee appointed by the Presbytery of Arkansas.
Sept. 2 — James R. Pettigrew begins publication of the Arkansas Sentinel.
Augustus Volner comes to Fayetteville with machinery for the city’s first foundry, installed near the corner of Mill and Rock.
February — The McGarrahs’ two-story cabin burns.
The Catholic Church is established in Fayetteville, although holy mass had been held for many years prior.
Peter Van Winkle erects the Van Winkle Hotel, reputed to have been the largest frame structure in the state at the time, the third floor of which was fitted up for one of the city’s first opera houses.
Frontier Lodge No. 1626 of the Knights of Honor was established in Fayetteville.